Picture

Picture

Saturday, June 22, 2013

SNGF - Genealogy Database Statistics Compared to 2011

analyzeThis week’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun is aimed at taking a look at your genealogy database stats as follows:

    1. If you have your family tree research in a Genealogy Management Program (GMP), whether a computer software program or an online family tree, figure out how to find how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database (hint:  the Help button is your friend!).
    2. Tell us which GMP you use, and how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database(s) today in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook status or Google+ stream comment.

We did a similar challenge in 2011, so I though I’d take this challenge a step further and compare my stats now to what they were then.

In Legacy, I went to the Help menu and chose General Information.  Here are my results as of today:

dbcontent

  • 10,506 individuals
  • 2,425 surnames
  • 3,935 families
  • 598 master sources

Back in March 2011, my results were as follows:

  • 9,493 individuals
  • 2,203 surnames
  • 3,570 families
  • 422 master sources

So let’s compare them:

Type

Current

2011

Difference

Individuals

10,506

9,493

+1,013

Surnames

2,425

2,203

+222

Families

3,935

3,570

+365

Master Sources

598

422

+176

Although I’ve added over 1,000 people to my database, the number of new surnames seems relatively low.  It makes sense, though, as I have been focusing on a few specific families in the last two years, which is evident when I run my list of surnames and compare it to the 2011 list.

surnamelist

Schwartz had the biggest jump of the surnames that were in the top 22 in 2011.  Kremer wasn’t even in the top 22 in 2011.  These are the two main lines I have been working on for the last two years.  The addition of individuals, families, and surnames are probably most directly related to this area of my research. 

Sadly, about half of the surnames on this list are very distant collateral lines that I got swept into during my “name collecting” phase early on.  Hopefully in another few years, once I’ve continued with researching more of my not-so-distant collateral families along with my main line families, those names will fall lower on the list.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

  © Copyright 2008~2013. All rights reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

  Social media icons are from GraphicsFuel.com

Back to TOP  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...